BATS AT THE LIBRARY
Written and illustrated by Brian Lies
Houghton Mifflin Co., 2008
12 weeks on the NY Times Bestseller List
Another inky evening’s here—
the air is cool and calm and clear.
Can it be true? Oh, can it be?
Yes!—Bat Night at the library!
Join the free-for-all fun at the public library with these book-loving bats! Shape shadows on walls, frolic in the water fountain, and roam the book-filled halls until it’s time for everyone, young and old, to settle down into the enchantment of storytime.
Brian Lies’ joyful critters and their nocturnal celebration cast library visits in a new light. Even the youngest of readers will want to join the batty book-fest!
• Winner, 2010 Bill Martin, Jr. Picture Book Award
(Kansas Reading Association)
• Winner, IndieChoice Picture Book Award 2009
• Winner, Book Sense 2009 Book of the Year Award
(formerly ABBY award)
• 12 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list
• Declared “A good thing” by Martha Stewart, October 29, 2008
• Named the #3 Picture Book of 2008 by Time Magazine / CNN
• State Book Award Nominations:
• Buckaroo Book Award (WY)
• Arizona Young Readers Award
• 2011 LYRC Grades 3-5 Consideration list (LA)
• SCC Picture Book Award
• Bill Martin, Jr. Award (Kansas)
• 2010 Washington Children’s Choice Picture Book Award
• Nebraska Golden Sower Book Award (2009-2010)
• Keystone to Reading Award (PA), 2009-2010
See the journeys of three handmade Book Bats as they traveled
around the U.S. in 2009.